Home

Friday, July 1, 2011

Recipe of the MONTH - HOMEMADE PUMPKIN BREAD!

Above you will see the beautiful pumpkins that we grew in our garden. You can read about these pumpkins in a previous post of mine last month. I used these pumpkins to create the recipe for this month.

Pumpkin bread is normally a fall or winter dessert bread, but I had to make it a little early to use some of my pumpkins. I made my pumpkin filling similar to how you would make baby food. I cleaned all the pumpkin, then I put it is a microwave safe container with cover with a bit of water and microwaved it for 15 minutes (this stemmed the pumpkin for me). When it was done I scooped out all the insides and blended it with my Magic Bullet until it was nice and smooth. Below is a picture of the cooked pumpkin filling ready to be made into delicious pumpkin bread!
Ok so here is the yummy ingredients:
Ingredients:
3 1/2 cups of all purpose flour
2 tsp. baking soda
1 1/2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. cinnamon
2 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 tsp. all spice
3 cups sugar or 3 cups of Splenda or a 50:50 mix of the two

Step 1: In a large mixing bowl, stir together the flour, soda, salt, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, and sugar.

4 eggs, beaten
1 cup vegetable oil or 1/2 cup vegetable oil and 1/2 cup of apple sauce (I did this)
1/2 cup water if you are using fresh cooked pumpkin or 2/3 cup of water for commercial canned pumpkin
2 cups of fresh cooked pumpkin or 1 (16 oz) canned pumpkin

Step 2: Add the eggs, water, oil, and pumpkin.

Step 3: Stir all ingredients until they are blended well. You can also add in nuts or raisins, but we prefer our bread without. Bake at 350 in a greased and floured loaf pan for about 50 minutes to an hour. I usually bake it until a knife can be inserted and can comes out clean. For mini loaves cooking time may only be about 45 minutes. Let loaves cool on a cooling rack before eating.


I will definitely be making this bread again, especially this fall and winter. I had lots of pumpkin filling left to freeze for later. Happy Baking Everyone and Remember Happiness is Homemade!

No comments:

Post a Comment