Home

Friday, March 12, 2010

March's Recipe of the Month - Homemade Chicken Pot Pie


Hello Friends, Family, and Bloggers!

As I strive to devote more time to this new hobby which is blogging I thought it would be fun to do something monthly that could benefit my friends and family as well. I love to eat and love to get new recipes and try them out. If many of you (moms) are like me you get stuck cooking the same things time and time again. So this post and future posts might be a good resource for you or at least I hope it becomes a good resource for you!!!

Now I don't claim to be Betty Crocker, but I love trying new recipes (like I said before) and making old faithfuls. Last night I made a yummy dish for some friends of ours that had twins and I thought I would share the recipe with all of you. So here it is...

HOMEADE CHICKEN POT PIE

Oven @ 425
Ingredients:

Crust: 1 box Pillsbury refrigerated pie crust (you will use both crusts)

softened as directed on box


Filling: 1/3 cup butter or margarine
1/3 cup chopped onion

1/3 cup all-purpose flour

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon pepper

1 can (14oz) chicken broth

1/2 cup milk

2 1/2 cups shredded or cubed cooked chicken (I boil my chicken ahead of time)

2 cups mixed frozen veggies (I think carrots and peas mix is the best)

Directions:

Heat oven to 425. Make pie crusts as directed on box. It is best to use a glass or ceramic pie pan when making this recipe. Do not grease pie pan. Unroll pie crust into the bottom of your pie pan the box should include directions on making a pie with 2 crusts, follow those directions. Meanwhile, in a saucepan melt butter on medium heat, add onions and stir until tender. Stir in flour, salt, and pepper and stir until well blended. Gradually stir in broth and milk stir until bubbly and thick. Stir in chicken and veggies and REMOVE from heat. Spoon into crust, top with 2nd crust and make sure to cut slits into the top of crust. Bake 30-40 minutes or until golden brown. ****Important: During baking remove pie the last 15-20 minutes and cover the crust edges with strips of foils so that they don't burn. You want your crust to be golden brown not burnt. Remove from oven when finished and let stand for 5 minutes before eating.


I hope you enjoy this yummy recipe and remember HAPPINESS IN HOMEMADE!!!! Happy Cooking Everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment